In this article, we’ll be taking a look at the most basic aspects of Design Psychology, first asking a question, and then addressing the various concepts, in abbreviated form.
“I wish I had learned all this before we bought our first house 25 years ago, and before we had our children. Not only would our homes be more harmonious, but so would our lives together. It’s amazing to learn how colors, lighting, sounds, and patterns affect us so deeply.”
-Angela Pederson, Palm Desert, California
What are the basic fundamentals of Design Psychology?
- Lighting & our psychological responses to light
- Color & psychology
- Patterns & reactions
- Textures & the sense of touch
- Scale & human response
- Styles, themes & desirable effects
- Ethnic traditions & the importance of heritage
- Furniture & arrangement for human comfort
- Sounds & repercussions
- Scents & sentiments
- Embellishments & emotional undercurrents
How can Design Psychology help me?
It can help you:
- Select from the mass confusion of home furnishings.
- Decorate your home right the FIRST time.
- Save time, effort, and money.
- Find out which colors, patterns, furniture, and accessories support happy feelings.
- Learn about lighting and color psychology, and the underlying emotional effects of your home’s design details.
Discover how Mother Nature can guide your home decorating, to create an environment that’s perfect for your emotional needs.
What Design Psychology ideas could I use to best create an environment that would support my emotions?
Lighting is the crucial design element for happiness.
Using Color Psychology without fear supports joyful living.
Happy warm colors need cooling balance, in order to maintain harmony.
Color, when used as a background, needs to flatter individuals.
All of your senses should be considered when creating your Overall Design Plan.
There you have it; Design Psychology in a nutshell. The concepts are unique and powerful, and can help you create a home that’s perfect for joyful living.
(c) Copyright 2004, Jeanette J. Fisher. All rights reserved.
How to Find Blueprints of a Building
Different Types of Wall Art For Today’s Homes
5 Interior Design Tips for Beginners